Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Best Part of Waking Up...Is Getting Chewed Out by Your Dad


Note: This is the remaining half of the coffee brewed yet to be stored in a vacuum flask

In preparing for my weekend jaunt in Albania, I've seen more references to coffee than our ill fated friends of the Birdpocalypse. As a current non-consumer of coffee, I figured it's best to learn more about coffee before I leave. Coffee seems to be the Facebook of Albania: 1. People sitting around 2. People occasionally making comments 3. People spending a great portion of their day doing so.

At this point in my life, I've only drank one complete cup of coffee (I'm working on making that 2). For that first cup I give my thanks to my coworkers in Salzburg who strapped me to a chair (figuratively of course) and proceeded to record and document me as if I were the last unicorn drinking a cup of joe.

This morning I committed a monstrosity of unparalleled proportions in the world of coffee by adding 4 times (read: FOUR TIMES) the appropriate amount of coffee grinds. Even after my dad added a 1:1 ratio of milk, the semi-liquid sludge did not change in color (contrary to our expectations).

For those of you not paying attention, the lesson learned is that you can still salvage a ruined pot of coffee by brewing more coffee until the proper proportion (1 Tsp of grinds : 1 Cup of coffee) is reached. If your math is good, you'd realize that we ended up brewing 16 cups of coffee. It should last the family for the rest of the week.

Sources: http://www.kitchendaily.com/2010/04/17/how-to-make-coffee/
Other Ideas: http://www.coffeegeek.com/guides/turkishcoffee

Let's Do: Yoga 

12 comments:

  1. Alex, are you going to try any other coffee brewing methods?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jon, that's a good idea. I'll look around to see if we have any equipment for other brewing methods. And I appreciate the comment.

    If anyone has any equipment they'd be willing to let me borrow, please let me know. The French Press looks like a snazzy piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can use our French press and espresso machine. I read that espresso is gaining popularity among young Albanians.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By my standards, there was nothing wrong with the coffee made in your first attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh, I'll keep that in mind, callmebeloved

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://steamykitchen.com/492-vietnamese-iced-coffee.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peagan, that looks delicious. Have you tried it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember doing a similar experiment in my Physics 204 class, at Cornell. It was a self-paced course, which I was foolish to think, I was mature enough to handle. Hence, the near failing grade. Anyway... it involved some very complicated formulas for determining amounts of Joules required to bring amounts of liquids of different temperatures to an equilibrium temperature.

    I would be interested to see if derivations of those physics formulas, could be developed, and applied to your perfect "cup-o-joe" attempts.

    If the math works, there could probably also be a sensor connected to the output, and a self-correcting feedback loop could be automatically activated...

    The ads could look like "You put as much ground coffee as you want into our new machine... and your lazyness, ingorance, lack of experience, lack of interest, lack of commitment, or whatever, will be rewarded with a PERFECT CUP!!! Everytime!"

    Fishout

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's the next million dollar idea, Rob!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you add a pinch of kosher salt to your coffee grinds before brewing it will remove a little of the bitterness from your coffee. About 1 pinch per cup you are brewing does the trick. It will not taste salty. Promise.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the tip Derek. I've confirmed this with a quick Google search: http://www.google.com/search?aq=0&oq=add+salt+to&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=add+salt+to+coffee

    ReplyDelete