Sunday, January 16, 2011

Parallel Parking

In the busy streets of Boston, oncoming traffic and the added pressure of onlookers makes me pee my pants. A couple months ago I was trying to catch a show and looked to park on Commonwealth Ave. I pulled my car up to a great spot in front of the entrance to the Kenmore T-stop. T-stations being the hobo magnets that they are, my audience was plentiful and heterogeneous. Several people took a breather from shaking their Dunkin Donuts cups to enjoy the show.

The blinker clicks as hesitation, fear, dreadfulness, doubt, apprehension among a few other feelings swirl around my head as I prepare my final act. Oncoming traffic pauses and the curtain is drawn. This is a recreation of actual events:


Turn hard. Car swings into empty street. Back up--Cut hard! Car jolts to a halt. Curb--crap! Try again. Car returns to original position. Car swings out and cuts back in. Too tight--shoot! One more time. Car pulls next to front car. You can do it. Car hits curb again. Damn! Car drives away in shame.

To my defense, parallel parking in suburbia is like scoring a knock out with Sock'Em Boppers--it just doesn't happen all that often. For such a crucial skill it's a surprise that more people can't do it (maybe it's just me). Despite a slightly sore palm (maybe from practicing yoga) and strange looks from neighbors, I'm fortunate to have gotten some practice in my driveway.


Sources: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ-loe3xXLg

**Any suggestions for this Sunday? Post below

Watch a Piano Concert ►

No comments:

Post a Comment